- BRAIN GAIN EAST AFRICA PROVIDES THE FOLLOWING SERVICES
TEST for Emotional Stability and Cognitive Ability or simply TESCA
The TESCA is an objective, neurophysiological measure of attention, not a subjective measurement of behaviour.
The test takes about 25 minutes for 6 + year olds and about 11 minutes for 4-5 year olds.
It is a very simple computer game.
Results are comparable. The response of each individual is compared with feedback from a group of individuals who do not suffer from ADD / ADHD, from the same age and gender and average intelligence.
The TESCA measures the following variables:
- Emotional Stability
- Omissions (Inattention)
- Commissions (Impulsivity)
- Response time or reaction speed
- Response variability (consistency),
- CDC( Concentration Deficiency Co-efficient)
- Unique training
- Acquiring the skill of focus and concentration
- Help the individual to improve his / her concentration levels (cognitive ability)
- AND to maintain levels of concentration for longer time intervals
- American Academy of Pediatrics – Level 1 intervention for ADHD
It is done on the prefrontal cortex
The prefrontal cortex is important for:
- maintaining levels of attention and focusing on a task;
- controlling emotions and impulses
- purposeful living;
- responding appropriately to the demands of a particular situation
Trainings for parents and teachers
School Readiness – Motor assessment
This is for 4-5 year olds.
It assists parents/guardians in determining if there is a concentration problem.
At age 4 and 5, the chances of underdeveloped motor skills leading to concentration problems is HUGE.
Gifted and Talented learners support
Most of the school curricula and its application is devoted to the average learner with provisions for remedial work for those who are below average. At the extreme end there are special curricula for the deaf and the visually impaired. Nowadays there are even special academies for sports and performing arts like music and drama. However very few if any attention is paid to the gifted learner. It is assumed that the gifted learner will always succeed any way. However this is so far from the truth. Gifted and talented learners;
- Have the potential to and do under perform in many aspects.
- Become truant
- Misbehave e.g. becoming the school bully, gang leaders etc.
- Suffer from depression
- Suffer teen pregnancies
- Do drugs
Braingain provides the following support and much more;
- Education on who gifted and talented are
- Identification of gifted and talented children
- Support the gifted and talented to cope with that aspect
- Support teachers and parents to provide appropriate environment and programs for gifted and talented
- Organize activities for interaction among the gifted and talented